Gluten–Free Breakfast Burrito
A burrito, also named taco de harina, is a type of Mexican food. It often consists of a flour tortilla wrapped or folded around a filling. Southwestern cuisine, New Mexican cuisine, and Tex-Mex in particular, has popularized the breakfast burrito, in which elements of an American breakfast are wrapped inside a flour tortilla with green chile.
While Tia Sophia’s, a Mexican cafÃ© in Santa Fe, New Mexico, claims to have invented the original breakfast burrito in 1975, Fitness Goop offers this gluten-free mouth watering option. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Without it your metabolism will slow down, which will not aid in weight loss or maintaining weight a healthy weight. So, why not stoke the fires of your metabolism with a nutritious gluten-free breakfast burrito. (Serves 2)
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon non-fat milk, soy milk, water, or olive oil
1 teaspoon butter (or butter substitute) for frying
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pieces of cooked crispy bacon (humanely raised)—optional
1 ounce cheese (such as sharp cheddar, Swiss, or Havarti)—optional
1 Food For Life Brown Rice Tortilla, cut in half
- Preheat a small, non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs with the milk for 30 seconds.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan. As the very last of the butter liquefies, add the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Do not stir immediately; instead, wait until the first hint of setting begins. Using a spatula or a flat wooden spoon, push the eggs toward the center of the pan while tilting the pan to redistribute any of the remaining liquid.
- When the eggs are moist on top and set on the bottom, carefully fold half the eggs on top of the other half, or roll the eggs over. For an easy, non-traditional omelette, carefully turn the eggs over and cook an additional 30 seconds. Season with pepper and evenly divide in half.
- While the eggs are cooking, divide the cheese evenly and place in the middle of each tortilla half. Lightly toast in toaster oven until cheese melts. Place each tortilla on a lunch-size plate and top with bacon slice and eggs. Roll and enjoy.
Variation to this recipe: For an egg-white scramble, use 6 egg whites in place of the 3 large eggs.
Enjoy this healthy recipe and let us know what you think of the Gluten – free Breakfast Burrito.