Living Healthy Tip: Natural Toothpaste with Coconut Oil Recipe
Detoxifying and cleansing your body is in- Dr. Oz has a 48 hour Weekend Cleanse, Oprah has a 21 Day Consciousness Cleanse, and juice bars are sprouting up everywhere to help rid your body of unwanted toxins and weight. But when was the last time you looked at ingredient labels of the common household products you use everyday like toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, sunscreen, even cosmetics? Is it time to purify and detoxify your environment, both inside and out? If so, try this non-toxic, clean Coconut Oil Natural Toothpaste made with just three natural ingredients: coconut oil, baking soda and an essential oil for flavor.
The coconut tree is commonly referred to as “The Tree of Life” because it provides food, shelter and fuel. Hail Merry uses organic Virgin Coconut Oil in all of their gluten-free, Non-GMO desserts for its luxurious flavor and delicious creaminess. Did you know raw coconut oil also has antimicrobial properties primarily due to its naturally high lauric acid content that may inhibit bad bacteria?
To make this natural toothpaste, coconut oil is blended with the naturally occurring mild abrasive, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and flavored with refreshing essential oils for a pure tooth brushing experience. Liquid stevia can be added to make it more kid-friendly.
Homemade “Clean” Coconut Oil Natural Toothpaste
- 1 tablespoon organic raw coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 drops of essential oil for flavoring: peppermint*, grapefruit** or eucalyptus*** oil is suggested.
- Liquid stevia can be added for a sweeter version but use one drop at a time until sweet quotient is reached.
1. Mix baking soda and coconut oil in a small container, until well blended and paste like consistency.
2. Add essential oil of choice and mix. Add stevia as needed (optional)
3. Use immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Once you decide you enjoy making your own, the recipe can easily be multiplied for a bigger patch.
*Peppermint oil is extracted from the whole plant above ground just before flowering by steam distillation. It has cooling, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.
**Grapefruit oil is cold pressed from fresh peel. It has antiseptic, diuretic and cleansing properties.
***Eucalyptus oil is extracted form the leaves and twigs of the tree by steam distillation. It has antiseptic and antiviral properties.